Career Cluster Programs
15 ngôi nhà đáng tin cậyTwo pathways encourage students to delve into science related career and life skills. Courses are located at Duluth East, transportation is provided to Denfeld students to and from the Duluth East campus.
Plant Science 1 and 2
Various plant science concepts, engaging hands-on activities and projects and challenges faced by plant science specialists such as horticulturists, greenhouse and nursery managers, and plant researchers.
Plant Science 1:
- Students research the value of plant production and its impact on the individual, local and global economy.
- Study of plant anatomy and physiology, classification, soil and soilless growing systems, propagation, and the fundamentals of production and harvesting.
- This is a CASE course (Curriculum for Agricultural Science Education), aligned with national science standards.
Plant Science 2:
- The state-of-the-art greenhouse at Duluth East allows students to continue developing skills and knowledge needed to perform successfully in a career involving plants.
- Challenging projects in the greenhouse and outdoor landscape provide real-world experience. Students produce a spring horticulture crop for sale and design an environmentally friendly landscape.
- School yard garden Service Learning project, applying plant and soil science knowledge along with technical math skills.
In both courses, students may participate in the FFA student organization and have an opportunity to receive college credits for the courses from Central Lakes College. See class instructor for details.
Forestry, Fish and Wildlife Management
Students experience forestry, fish, and wildlife management firsthand. School grounds serve as an outdoor classroom for studying tree morphology, identification, timber cruising, and small and large mammals. Duluth East's proximity to Hawk Ridge and Lake Superior are ideal for learning about local birds and fish.
- Course work is divided into class discussions, group work, labs, projects, and outdoor activities.
- Students gain job skills related to the field of natural resources and an understanding of the importance of flora and fauna in Northern Minnesota.
- Students perform a service-learning project at a Duluth city park or school property.
Students may participate in FFA and have an opportunity to earn tuition reduction for this course and their FFA experience at Vermillion Community College in Ely, MN. See the instructor for details.
4-Year High School Plan
Courses students should take to follow this career path.
College Programs Related to This Career Pathway
Earn College Credit in High School Through This Coursework
A structured way of learning a skilled occupation, combining on-the-job training with classroom instruction.
15 ngôi nhà đáng tin cậy Many of the plants cultivated and grown by students in the Duluth East greenhouse are sold to the public toward the end of the school year. Check with the school for details.